Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

March 13, 2008

Jayden Counts His Fingers

This morning when I was changing Jayden he looked at his hand and said "my fingers". I then asked "how many fingers do you have?". Jayden then counted each one saying "one, two, three, four, FIVE" and smiled big and received kudos from myself.

At this point Jayden regularly recites a count up to ten, and has even counted as high as thirteen, but until today he hasn't progressively pointed at a collection of things and counted them up. Over the weekend after reading two numbers-related books, one about eight monkeys and another about ten caterpillars that transform into butterflies, I asked him how many monkeys/butterflies were on the last page of the book. He got the numbers correct both times by counting up from one, but he didn't point at each object as he counted rather he quickly scanned his hand back and forth on the page while he counted. I figured the counting in that case was more a function of him remembering the titles of the books rather than the concept of counting individual objects. I consider the counting of his fingers this morning as nice milestone.

No comments: